Tuesday 10 May 2011

Blog 13- Performance Management

Performance management has been defined by Armstrong and Baron (2004) as “a process which contributes to the effective management of individuals and teams in order to achieve high levels of organisational performance.” It has been suggested that if managers increase their involvement with employees and keep them motivated then it is likely to increase the productivity of employees.

According to Mullins (2010), a performance appraisal is a one-to-one review of how well an individual is working within the company and reflects whether or not they have been achieving their targets. These regularly record an assessment of an employee’s performance, potential and development needs. An appraisal also reflects areas which can be improved as well as successful targets that have been completed since the last appraisal. It is also a time when employees and management can discuss objectives for the next period. I received a few appraisals during my employment at Wallis as they took place twice a year. Compared to other people I enjoyed my appraisals as it provided me the opportunity to receive feedback on what I had achieved over the previous six months. Originally I wanted to work my way up to a managerial level within Wallis so I found these meetings important as it provided me with targets and certain tasks I needed to complete in order for me to be promoted. There were five sections that we were marked on which were based on the company’s image of a Wallis Role Model. Depending on our answers and the manager’s feedback we were then given a grade boundary for each section. It was this that then provided the targets for the next six months as it highlighted areas that needed to be improved. As the majority of my sections were in the top grade boundary I was given a small rise after my last appraisal. The final output of the meeting was that if I showed management that I know how to complete certain tasks that I would be promoted to supervisor.

On the times website there is a useful website which suggests a range of skills that they suggest are required in order to be an effective mentor. Greame Shankland, managing director of Scotland Corporate said “It’s important for them to have experience, to have a few grey hairs. They also need to be skilled at listening, they need to be empathetic and sensitive, and encourage a solution out of the person they are mentoring rather than telling them what to do.” Other important qualities that mentors must have are; being interested in helping others to succeed, reliable, honest, and capable of active listing and finally they need to be trustworthy in order to keep things confidential. Mentors also need to be able to pick up on important cues from their mentee so that they convey understanding of their experiences without mentioning their own experiences.

Over the years I have had a few mentors within different aspects of my life but one that I feel affected my life the most was my form tutor Karen Pearce at my secondary school. Having supported me from year eight to year eleven I new that if ever wanted somebody to talk to she would always be there. Looking back the time when she really affected my life was when a school friend lost his battle to cancer. This was a really hard time as my friends were going through the same emotions so I didn’t feel I could confide in them. Karen was very skilled at listening and was extremely sensitive about a emotional topic. Having Karen as a mentor helped me to move forward which resulting in me succeeding in my GCSE’s.

To conclude, measuring performance helps to keep employees focused as it sets clear expectations of what needs to be achieved. This usually takes the form of appraisals which are important as they provide employees with motivation which in turn increases the employee’s productivity. Not everyone has the specific skills required to be a mentor as it takes a certain type of person to listen to others without mentioning aspects of their life. Mentors affect many different aspects of an individual’s life; this could be personal as well as relating to education or work.

References

Books
Mullins, L. (2010) Management and organisational behaviour.9th ed. Essex: Pearson Education Limited.
Websites
TLS (2008) Entrepreneurs: a mentor can tune your skills [online]. Available from: http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/entrepreneur/article3778514.ece [accessed 20 April 2011].

University of Cambridge (2011) What makes a good mentor [online]. Available from: http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/offices/hr/cppd/opportunities/mentor/good.html [accessed 20 April 2011].

No comments:

Post a Comment